21 When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.”
Why would they say that about Jesus? Possibilities include:
· Because they didn’t believe he was the Son of God? (although Mark emphasizes that point, Jesus doesn’t yet)
· Because he threw away his security? (job)
· Because he threw away his safety? (angered leaders)
· Because he wasn’t acting normal? (he was different)
While the answer may include these ideas as well as others, I’m surprised how we apply similar reasoning.
· I want to do what I want, thus making me God and not Jesus.
· I’m spending most my life building security through my job and retirement. Jesus can have what’s left.
· My prayers are filled with safety, peace and a quiet life.
· I just want to fit in. Who wants to be a Jesus freak? I want to be liked.
While some of these have a place in proper proportion in my life, I realize I want to control Jesus like his family. Control Jesus. Doesn’t that sound bad? Maybe because it is.